Everyday Runway

Do the Right Thing

My new issue of EW (Entertainment Weekly) arrived this morning and I noticed two stars and a catch line, The Reunions Issue. 

My eyes quickly scanned the cover to see if there would be anything for "me" and to my surprise there was one movie I wasn't expecting to see listed. 

The cultural mega hit from 1989, Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing" was featured!





Yes I'm aging myself here but I don't care. This movie introduced me to Radio Raheem and the biggest boom box ever!

Spike Lee as Mookie did this with a cast of allstars, some being the classy Ruby Dee, loud Samuel L Jackson, feisty Rosie Perez and comedic icon Robin Harris (RIP).  

The six page spread with a major centerfold of the cast made me want to turn on Netflix and take a trip back down memory lane. 

If you've never watched it, now would be a great time. You'll see Martin skinny Lawrence in a role that probably birth his Rosco character. Giancarlo Esposito as Buggin Out was classic. Everybody has a friend like Buggin Out. Trust me, you won't be disappointed with this movie. 

If you've watched it before just enjoy the smooth sounds of the five second jazz intro that transitions to Public Enemy's Fight the Power with Rosie Perez doing all the dances I will be doing at GHOE next month. 

Kudos to EW for including this movie as a part of your reunion issue. 24 years later and I still love watching it! 

Gotta go, the movies starting. 

Quick fashion notes:


Ruby Dee is gorgeous as ever. She will always be a classy woman with impeccable style and grace. 

Rosie Perez poses in a white jumper with a clean, natural look. From the look of things, she's still dancing and keeping her arms in "running man" shape. It's a dance for those who don't know. 

The men and their fedoras showcasing their individual style was a very nice touch. Men and hats are nice but my favorite accessory of all was the boom box sitting by Radio Raheem. 

This is a big change from our fashion and style back in 1989.








Ok, I'm gone for real. Watch it and tell me what you think. I would love to hear your favorite one liners or scenes from the movie.

Jennifer Michelle, MTAM
For the complete "More Than A Mannequin" experience connect with me on these social media sites. 


Be sure to tune into Everyday Runway this Tuesday morning on WCCB News Rising as we support Breast Cancer Awareness month. 




No comments:

Post a Comment