Everyday Runway

My day in "The Game"

My day with the cast and crew of BET's hit drama "The Game" was pretty darn good. Cold but good. 

As the morning started, we background extras and a few crew members found ourselves wandering around in the dark looking for an imaginary parking garage at the location our GPS sent us to.

After checking in, moving our cars and returning to set we began the morning sitting in our holding tent waiting for the heat to work. Wardrobe showed up shortly after to prepare us for filming. That was a little challenging too considering the fact that the sun was still making it's way to us at 615am and there was poor lighting in our holding tent. My iPhone flashlight saved our eyes and then it started...walking around in the cold in my cute burgundy ABS dress and matching Carlos Santana stilettos.  

Our goal for the day, to film a beautiful spring wedding scene on one of the coldest winter like days. 

Being that I've not watched the show in a couple of seasons there were a few characters I didn't recognize. 
Just know that stars Jason & Lauren London were right in front of me and I knew them.

Lauren's beauty in person makes her look so plain on TV. Her makeup was flawless, dress for the scene, gorgeous. 

Coby aka Jason was quite easy on the eyes! Donning a perfectly fitting tuxedo he woo'ed us backstage. His way with words and character delivery was true to the man Jason is. 

I tried to get a front picture of him but rules of this background game are the same regardless of the project: No pictures of anybody or anything that will give away the story line

Me and my TV date did as instructed and after a couple of takes almost looked like a real couple. It was his first time (onset as BG) and I had to help him out a little. Theatre is completely different. 

My only accessory was the amazing necklace I received from a DC based designer. Some of you may remember the model completion I was in. It was my second place prize.

After an early morning with limited snacks and beverages, Jason's Deli tasted like steak and shrimp instead of chicken salad. 

Around 3pm the 6am group, my group, was moved into the church because the holding tent couldn't "hold" all 150+ background. 

Inside the church, no heat because the noise could be heard during filming! Man it was so cold in that tent I was praying for Jesus to send that fire to be shut up in my bones like Jeremiah! 

To survive I wrapped my TV boyfriends scarf around my legs then asked for a man to let me where his suit coat. One man moved and I was a little closer to warmth. I bundled up with another BG hoping to gain some relief but still ended up having ice blocks for feet. 

I couldn't take much more so I asked Tyrone my soon to be new best friend and lead wardrobe stylist to find me a scarf because I was cold. Trying to work my magic and begging for a chance to run & grab my coat they finally sent us back to the holding tent. Wouldn't you know the heater stopped working in holding
and everybody outside was cold too!

I didn't care. I grabbed my military jacket put it on. Grabbed my long Donna Karen floor length black coat and put it on. Grabbed my two scarves. I wrapped one around my neck and the other around my feet. Grabbed my pink gloves and favorite blanket that was featured on Homeland and wrapped myself like a pig in a blanket. Ok. Ok. No my blanket wasn't featured but it was seen when Claire Danes looked right at us in episode 3 in the psych ward. 

Now back to The Game. 

An hour later the heat starts working and I grab a seat IN FRONT of the heater to consume as much as I could. 

Some went to sleep. Some ate snacks. Some complained about not being feed. Some just refused to deal and walked around set. Me? I almost cried because my phone died shortly after. 

8pm and the wedding scene starts filming. 

Brandy walks in and everybody was in awe before the cameras starting rolling or the director made his speech about smiling because it's a wedding. 

When Brandy wasn't filming she was singing. As a thank you and special gesture she performed a classic. Singing his eye is on the sparrow I knew the goose pumps were from her voice and not the freezing temperatures in the church. 

Fast forward and three hours later it's a wrap!!! 

Great experience even if we didn't have dinner, got in trouble for drinking the crews coffee and had to deal with the cold weather. 

Yes I'm drinking tea now to fight the congestion and sinus headache but I'm always smiling at how once again GOD has blessed me to be able to have this experience. 

Background is not about the money. It's about networking and seeing people you grew up with working on a show that you love. Being a part of this makes it all worth it and the true reason why I'm in "The Game". 


Hope you enjoyed my recap from filming yesterday. Not all days are like this. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences working on Homeland, Captive, Banshee  (Tona has me spoiled) and The Black Line.

Be sure to tune in to the following shows and watch me working. 

Homeland, Sunday at 9pm on Showtime.

#EverydayRunway Tuesday on WCCB News Rising during the 8am hour. 

Follow Jennifer on these social media sites for the complete "More Than A Mannequin" experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment